Currie
- Local Government Area
- King Island
- Postcode
- 7256
- Population
- 766
- Area
- 11.15 km²
- Coordinates
- -39.9214, 143.8535
- Data
- Based on Australian Bureau of Statistics ASGS boundaries, licensed under CC BY 4.0.
Map data © OpenStreetMap contributors
Weather
Loading weather…
About Currie
Currie is the largest town on, and administrative centre of, King Island, at the western entrance to Bass Strait in Tasmania. Originally called Howie's Boat Harbour, it was renamed after Archibald Currie, a Melbourne shipowner who used the harbour as a base for salvaging the wrecked ship Netherby in 1866. The Currie Lighthouse was built in 1879, and the town was the island's main port until the opening of Grassy Harbour in 1974. It remains a centre for the fishing industry, especially rock lobster.